Do I need to take the TOEFL or the IELST to show I am proficient in English?

Possibly. You do need to show that you meet the English requirement. There are three ways to do this.


  1. If your degree is earned in a country where English is the official Language then you do not need to provide additional proof. For example, If you degree was earned in the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or Nigeria.


  1. If English was the Language of Instruction at the University where you earned your bachelors degree then you can provide a letter from the institution stating that English was the language of instruction, and/or you can also request that the NACES evaluator state the language of instruction on the degree evaluation.

Here is a list of countries where Higher Education is commonly conducted in English:


Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana,
British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar,
Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia and Zimbabwe.


  1. You can show English Proficiency by taking a recognized English proficiently test.
  1. Official TOEFL PBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Paper-Based Test) score of 550 or better;
  2. OR Official TOEFL IBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test) score of 71 or better;
  3. OR Official IELTS (International English Language Test) score of 6.5 or better.


Was this article helpful?
4 out of 4 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk